warning :)

Sorry for any typos. I mostly blog from my iPhone lying in bed nursing a baby or sitting on the couch nursing a baby, or wearing a baby nursing. In between home schooling and laundry and diaper changing. Oh did I mention I might be nursing a baby? The point is, I rarely sit down at the computer. Thanks for understanding. You're the best!

Monday, May 20, 2013

Day 2 of the Flats Hand washing Challenge! The Goods

Day 2 of the flats hand-washing challenge. What am I using...the goods. 

When I was first looking into cloth diapering, I looked all over the Internet, reading reviews and price checking. I spent hours and days and weeks trying to make a decision. All I kept thinking was, man these things are expensive. I knew that in the long run, I would be saving money but I just didn't have $300 or more to spend at one time. It just was not an option. My mom ended up buying us some prefolds and covers. I used those for 2 years. In fact we still use them from time to time.

When I heard about this challenge, I thought, "now that's a great idea" I am that person that can't afford diapers. So I took the challenge last year. I  bought: 

Two 10 count gerber flats $10 each.

I collected all the receiving blankets  we had. It was 16.

My mom bought me a few more flip covers.

The detergent I was already using - detergent I've used for about a year and love

I had baby wash cloths to use as wipes.

My cost was about $20 dollars
The cost all together was about $80 dollars. 

 I did make some homemade flannel flats and some more wipes at Christmas time. Cost  $20

I didn't have to buy anything new this year. My diapers, covers and wipes are all still in great working order. 

This years challenge I will be using:

-20 flannel flats. Mix of homemade and receiving blankets. 

-30 flannel wipes. Homemade



Some things I won't be using that I normally do:
Flushable liners
Washer and dryer.

Homemade how to
I bought the cheapest cotton flannel I could find. $1.99 a yard. Cut it 28 by 28.  Then serged the edges. Then washed them. They shrunk to about 27 X 27. 
I also made some smaller ones 20 x20

The wipes are about 8 x 8 surged flannel. 

Have fun everyone! Talk to you tomorrow. 




 


2 comments:

  1. I like the way you store those wipes in solution.. how long do they keep this way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the wipes in one or two days

    ReplyDelete