warning :)

Sorry for any typos. I mostly blog from my iPhone lying in bed nursing a baby or sitting on the couch nursing a baby, or wearing a baby nursing. In between home schooling and laundry and diaper changing. Oh did I mention I might be nursing a baby? The point is, I rarely sit down at the computer. Thanks for understanding. You're the best!

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Last day. Day 7 of the flats challenge.

Today is the last day of the the flats hand washing challenge. http://dirtydiaperlaundry.com/ 
sorry in advance for any typos or nonsensical jabber. I am blogging in bed on my phone, nursing my 13 month old. It's been a busy day. Thank goodness for modern tools, like my iPhone I can blog from. 

I had a great week. I am visiting my parents. Thankfully they have 3 bathrooms, so my diaper stash and wash system didn't have to take over their areas. 
I did the challenge last year and have switched to flats full time and wash part time. I knew what to expect, how to wash, how dry and what I liked and didn't like. 
Some things I didn't expect, was how much my 13 month old would love helping wash diapers. She gets really into it. 

It was a really fun time to hang with my youngest. 

Another thing that was surprising was how fast diapers dry outside in the sun. Last year we lived in Tacoma , WA. It rains 300 days a year. So I dried my diapers in the bathroom each night. But this year... SUNSHINE! The sun is awesome! The diapers were drying in about an hour. 


 

My parents have soft water.  As a result, I have had a much harder time getting all the detergent rinsed out. We had a little diaper rash a few times. I think it was from the detergent not getting rinsed out. It wasn't consistent, so I just  tried extra hard to make sure there was no more bubbles. Sometimes this took 5 rinses. 

I like washing as I go. But I'm guessing once I get home from visiting my parents, I'll be crazy busy and won't have built in babysitters, so the wash may happen at night when my husband can watch the kids. Or I may try to get all 4 of them involved and call it home economics :)

Something I realized, was I want to learn other homemaking arts. I want to learn to hand wash all clothes. I'm not saying I desire to get rid of my beloved washer and dryer. But learning how to do it, would be a great thing. 
Someone over on the Facebook page talked about teaching a class at crisis pregnancy centers. I have a deep passion for the pro life movement and especially single moms. I believe All life is a blessing from God, and something like diaper should not be a stress maker in a mothers life. ( there's enough to worry about) 
I would love to take that great idea, and do the same. Donate, flats and teach classes to young moms. Single or married. 
We have 4 kids and I know we save a lot of money by cloth diapering. 
I worked at a crisis pregnancy center in high school. I wish I'd known about cloth back then. 
I may have a new mission :)
I really do love cloth diapers. I mean  If you have to deal with poop everyday, it might as well be fun, fashionable and affordable. 

Thank you dirty diaper laundry for all your work and passion in sponsoring this awesome event.  http://dirtydiaperlaundry.com/3rd-annual-flats-and-handwashing-challenge-day-6-open-topic-linky/

If you have any questions let me know. Thanks for joining. 

Next week have: modest Monday link up hosted by http://www.themodestmomblog.com/2013/05/modest-monday-and-a-link-up-35/

Baby wearing Wednesday. Join That Crazy Mom on my adventures in babywearing. 

Five minute Fridays. Things this crazy mom can get done in five minutes. 

See you tomorrow. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment